Gerald Spencer, P.E. has more than 50 years experience serving as the Engineer of Record responsible for the design and construction of the MEP portions of more than 1300 building construction projects since 1968 including more than 30 years of preparing forensic engineering reports. Gerald Spencer, P.E. has also been providing licensed professional engineering expert opinion and testimony concerning HVAC, electrical, plumbing, cryogenics, ventilation, construction contract compliance, construction cost estimating, construction contract acquisition, construction contract administration, and other construction matters for attorneys with since 2001.
1. FOREIGN CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS: Projects constructed in foreign countries need to be designed according to local customs using local labor materials as much as possible in order to be economically constructed. Maintenance of locally obtained building materials is also more readily available and is usually less expensive. We always comply with local codes the same way that we expect Foreign Government facilities to comply with our local building codes in this country, including their local municipal city building and planning codes.
1.1. Less developed countries like to have US designers employed to take advantage of the latest technology that is available and applicable for their facilities.
1.2. We always design systems that can be serviced and maintained by the local tradesmen plus the latest state of the art technological designs for various building systems. In conflict with this we believe that less sophisticated systems that are factory packaged are more easily commissioned into service are actually more desirable (where sophisticated installation and service technicians are not available in remote areas). Less sophistication is required to install ductwork than to install refrigerant piping, even though refrigerant piping might be less expensive than ductwork initially. contractors. We believe that an inoperative system that has to wait for a technician from outside of the country to repair the system is not desirable. We have always obtained local consultants that we have utilized for advice during design and during construction. This advice will be sought to educate ourselves concerning the local construction methods, constructability, locally available materials, local prices of materials, local labor prices, and other relevant information for the project. We have found that municipal utility departments and utility corporations in foreign countries are very easy to work with, and are usually very helpful.
2. FOREIGN PROJECT LIST: Gerald Spencer, P.E. is accustomed to traveling to and working on projects in Europe, South America, Asia, and the Caribbean Basin. We have our own Digital Cameras, Camcorders, Mechanical Performance measurement instruments, Pressure and flow instruments, Temperature and Humidity Recorders, Electrical field measurement instruments, and Lighting measurement instruments that we install and operate in foreign nations.
3. ARCHITECT-ENGINEER PROJECT LIST: Gerald Spencer, P.E. is the Architect-Engineer of Record contractually responsible for the total design and the construction of all construction disciplines of the construction in addition to being the EOR for the following Department of State Projects:
3.1. U. S. Information Service Building Fire Safety Systems Up-Grade - Mumbai, India
3.2. U. S. Consulate Building Emergency Power Systems Up-Grade - Mumbai, India
3.3. U. S. Embassy Electrical System Repairs - Bridgetown, Barbados
3.4. U. S. Embassy Exterior Repairs - Nassau, Bahamas
3.5. U. S. Embassy Mission Residence Repairs - Nassau, Bahamas
3.6. U. S. Embassy Electrical System Repairs - Copenhagen, Denmark
3.7. U. S. Washington House Consular Residence Electrical renovations - Mumbai, India
3.8. U. S. Consulate Building Consular Services Renovation - Mumbai, India
3.9. U. S. Information Service Building Chilled Water Plant replacement - Mumbai, India
3.10. U. S. Consulate Building HVAC system replacement - Mumbai, India
4. MEP ENGINEER ONLY PROJECT LIST: Gerald Spencer, P.E. is the mechanical and the electrical EOR responsible for the design and the construction of the following foreign country projects:
4.1. King Abdulaziz Military Academy - Auditorium - Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
4.2. King Abdulaziz Military Academy - Agronomy Building - Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
4.3. Girls College at Jeddah - Saudi Arabia
4.4. Officers Club - Bahrain, Bahrain
4.5. Chilean Navy Military Hospital
5. TOTALLY METRIC PROJECT DESIGNS: Gerald Spencer, P.E. has extensive Hard and Soft Metric project design and construction experience. Spencer Engineers, Inc. (SEI) was first employed as the AE for foreign U. S. Army (Middle East Division) construction projects in 1983. Gerald Spencer, P.E. has completed several "Hard Metric" projects during the past few years.
5.1. SEI was selected by NASA in 1994 to to be the AE of Record for the design their first.
5.1.1. Gerald Spencer, P.E. has completed this design and construction of the new Building 260 and the addition to Building 343 project for NASA where all of the documentation for the bidding and construction of the project is in "Hard Metric".
5.1.2. All of the building Structural, Civil, HVAC, Plumbing, and Electrical engineering calculations are in "Hard Metric" units. All of the building Architectural dimensions and calculations are in "Hard Metric" (SI) units.
5.1.3. Materials and Equipment with published metric units were specified as a part of the building to the extent that these items were available. The construction of this building is complete.
5.1.4. The contractor claimed to have made a profit on the project.
5.1.5. Gerald Spencer, P.E. has completed the two day Metric Design Course at NASA-Johnson Space Center. Eastern countries, but these projects were not entirely metric. These projects were a mixture of English and metric units which is the local custom. in India, Nassau, Barbados, and Denmark using the Local Metric system of measurement and calculations.
5.2. Gerald Spencer, P.E. has accomplished other metric projects for construction in the Middle
5.3. Gerald Spencer, P.E. is the EOR responsible for the design and the construction of completed projects NASA prototype set of "Hard Metric" construction contract documents. This was a model project to be used as a pattern for future "Hard Metric" projects.
5.3.1. The Electrical Wire Designations vary from country to country, but these are becoming standardized more and more with the creation of the European Common Union (ECU).
5.3.2. Non-ECU nations are gravitating to the ECU standards in our opinion.
1.713.621.2482 or 1.800.383.9685
4635 Southwest Freeway, Suite 900
Houston, Texas 77027
Copyright © Spencer Engineers, Inc.. All Rights Reserved